User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2017, 02:01:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Follow us on Twitter!  http://www.twitter.com/abgupdates

Key Stats
4998 Posts in 854 Topics by 75 Members
Latest Member: LeandroOlds
Home Help Search Login Register
Attacked by Gorillas  |  Improve Yourself, The Attacked by Gorillas Way!  |  Foodstuffs  |  a what if moment @axle « previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: a what if moment @axle  (Read 3119 times)
newmie
My Name Is Jonas

Email
« on: January 20, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »

after looking in the cupboard at the minimal amount of ingredients and wondering what i could make with this obscure collection of simple ingredients and random spices i thought what if there was a web site that allowed me to input the ingredients i had and search for recipies that only required those recipies. 

Axle...get on it
Axel Night
He who maketh things work.
Administrator
Pink Triangle

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:40:01 PM »

I've often thought the same thing, and recently have been looking at supercook.com as a possible fill for that niche.  I'd found other sites that supposedly did the same thing, but really just took one or two things you listed and found recipes to base those off of.  Fine if you're willing to rush out to the store everyday for five ingredients to match those two, but not what we were after.

My experience so far is generally positive.  As you add to the list of "stuff you have", it generates a list of recipes.  It also tacks on at the end of the list other recipes that you could make if you had one or two other ingredients, so that I don't miss out on a delicious chowder, just because I was out of milk.

As I was keying in ingredients, it also asked me if I had certain ingredients down below that it knew would open up new recipes for me.  I looked at it and said "why yes, I do have olive oil", and with a click, it was added to my electronic pantry, widening my recipe selection.  It can also generate a "shopping list" of things that will give me the most to work with based on what I already have.  Once I have my pantry filled, I can click on ingredients in there to tell it "I want a recipe that definitely uses this", for if I'm craving chicken or the eggs are starting to spoil.

On the negative side, it wasn't always perfectly accurate.  The recipes all come from other sites, so when I told it that I had chicken breasts in my freezer, it gave me a recipe that called for chicken sausage.  Not a total downer.  I'd rather it be a little too vague than lock me out of choices, because I had chicken breast strips and not fillets.

More thoughts as I actually get to using it.

Giving birth is a lot like jury duty.  It's well and fine in the right hands, but we mostly leave it up to the people too stupid to get out of doing it.
viper757
Would Not Like attackedbyhellokitty.com
Undone (The Sweater Song)

timphilli48 timphilli756
Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 06:44:38 PM »

I hope you don't mind, but I'm sure Tiracakes would love to join in on the discussion next time she's down here.  She may know of a few other sites that are like that.  Of course she is an amazing chef on her own, but it never hurts to look for new ideas.

"Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam! (Furthermore, I think that Carthage must be destroyed!)" Cato the Elder
newmie
My Name Is Jonas

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 10:45:38 PM »

now see i thought i was going to get in on the ground floor of a great new web idea that was going to make me millions (for the idea mind you not the actual building/managing work) therefore affording me the luxury of having every ingredient i would ever need in my cupboard at all times and thusly not ever needing such a web site.  and you have taken the lazy rout by looking for an existing site that already does the job and has theoretically already made its creator (or rather the person who originally had the idea because we all know the creators of such sites don't make jack) his slash her millions. 

i don't know what to say axel..........i simply don't know what to say.   You've cost me millions of potential dollars that i will never see.  There goes my hopes for being the first on my block to own a Motorola Xoom. 
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: