User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 12:22:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Follow us on Twitter!  http://www.twitter.com/abgupdates

Key Stats
4998 Posts in 854 Topics by 75 Members
Latest Member: LeandroOlds
Home Help Search Login Register
Attacked by Gorillas  |  Improve Yourself, The Attacked by Gorillas Way!  |  Computers & Gaming  |  Red Dead Redemption « previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption  (Read 4307 times)
Brick Prior
Lord of the Land, Leader of the People
Administrator
Butterfly

BOOSH!

« on: May 21, 2010, 03:33:07 PM »

I love this game.

Some random statements about my playthrough so far:

I shot someone off their horse, and their dead body got caught in the reins and was dragged around for a good bit.

I was walking around town, and this dude went batshit crazy out of nowhere and started stabbing a prostitute, so I shot him in the neck and then in the face... and then I shot the guy next to me who was pulling out his gun just because.

I've made countless people dive out of the way because my horse doesn't have brakes.

I hate herding cattle and horses, and I hate horsebreaking... but I do like shooting varmints!

Anyone else have it?

My DVDs.

"Yes, I've read a poem.  Try not to faint."  Nathan Fillion, Serenity
Axel Night
He who maketh things work.
Administrator
Pink Triangle

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 05:46:28 PM »

As I told Kenzan, I'm quite behind on the sandbox scene and currently playing Saint's Row 2 religiously.  RDR will have to wait a few months after I'm done spraying down buildings with sewage, abusing the rag-doll physics for insurance fraud, and committing police brutality on rogue ninjas and pirates duking it out in the streets (apparently, the game even has a story!).  My only concern for RDR can be summed up by a quote from an episode of Clock Suckers: "Yeah, I'm alright.  These old timey bullets are kind of pussified.  It's like I got hit by a Milk Dud."  As one used to shooting my hookers from an attack chopper with a rocket launcher, will a Winchester and a horse be equally satisfying?  Hmm.  Only a GameFly rental will tell me for sure.

Giving birth is a lot like jury duty.  It's well and fine in the right hands, but we mostly leave it up to the people too stupid to get out of doing it.
DrDetroit
Dan Aykroyd Would Be Proud
Administrator
Across The Sea

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 07:58:57 PM »

I don't think I'm going to get it, at least not until I can find it cheap.  I really want a good Western FPS/RPG, but I don't have any faith in Rock Star. 

To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
-Albert Einstein

Listen, kid, there're two things you don't know about the Earth: one is me. And the other...is Godzilla.- Don Frye, Godzilla: Final Wars
Architect of Awesome
Your Couch Fort Isn't Safe
Holiday

I bring nothing to the table.

lilwoodenpuppet
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 01:59:59 PM »

I'm with Dr. Detroit on this one.  I'm half expecting Grand Theft Cattle with this one.  Hopefully it's not that bad.

"I ain't seen pussy in so long I'd throw stones at it." - David Serdaris
viper757
Would Not Like attackedbyhellokitty.com
Undone (The Sweater Song)

timphilli48 timphilli756
Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 06:49:11 AM »

I bought Red Dead Redemption this weekend.  I've only gone through the intro so far.  I'll probably get into it more when I finish FFXIII.

"Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam! (Furthermore, I think that Carthage must be destroyed!)" Cato the Elder
Sasha Kenzan
AbG Brigade Leader
Administrator
Slave

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 10:54:06 AM »

I'd say it's worth a shot, especially if you like sandbox games and/or Westerns.  It's definitely better than Grand Theft Auto.  Getting attacked by a mountain lion out of nowhere and fighting for survival is pretty intense.

The game also eschews the health meter in favor of the Uncharted-style stamina, and you can kill someone with a headshot, something lacking in the GTA games, where someone can get shot 17 times and still come back to kill you.

DrDetroit
Dan Aykroyd Would Be Proud
Administrator
Across The Sea

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 02:03:16 PM »

Red Dead Thread Resurrected! Boom!

I bought this earlier than I planned and I love it.  This game took everything I either didn't like or got quickly bored with in GTA--the missions aren't completely & unreasonably impossible (so far, anyway, I think I'm about 50% through), moving from point A to point B isn't a chore, there isn't the constant feeling that you should just be unleashing hell on the NPCs, the controls make sense (for the most part, the horse controls are dumb), and the main character is actually really interesting.  It's far from perfect- there is a lot of room for improvement, even if it's supposed to be a sandbox game and anything goes.

That said, I hope Rock Star goes ahead with more games in the Red Dead series and moves away from the GTA cash cow, although I know that isn't likely since GTA is bordering on entering, if it hasn't already, the "license to print money" realm of games alongside Mario, Zelda, Madden and Halo.  I still stand by my original point--I think this is an exception to Rock Star's rule, and I definitely hope that some other studio (like my baby daddy Bioware) pick up and run with a genre that has been surprisingly neglected.

To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
-Albert Einstein

Listen, kid, there're two things you don't know about the Earth: one is me. And the other...is Godzilla.- Don Frye, Godzilla: Final Wars
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: