User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 08:31:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Follow us on Twitter!  http://www.twitter.com/abgupdates

Key Stats
4998 Posts in 854 Topics by 75 Members
Latest Member: LeandroOlds
Home Help Search Login Register
Attacked by Gorillas  |  Improve Yourself, The Attacked by Gorillas Way!  |  Reading  |  Dune « previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dune  (Read 2830 times)
Deltron zero
A Funkee Homosapien, No Doubt
No One Else

There's no right way to eat a Rhesus

oblivion34687
Email
« on: April 17, 2008, 10:27:29 PM »

Has anyone here read Dune and totally loved it?  I did.  I am definitely going to finish the whole series after I finish my current book which is on the character of Thomas Jefferson.

Dare to Struggle, Dare to Win.

Tobias Fünke: Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.
Othgar the Flamboyant
When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Across The Sea

Tears cannot putout the barbarian fire

BeefcakeDaMitey
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 04:50:38 AM »

lol I got burnt out on it, I'm forced to watch the whole mini series every time im at ethos'

Excuse me ladies and gentlemen if I may, I would like to raise awareness of pecan on viking hate crimes....
DrDetroit
Dan Aykroyd Would Be Proud
Administrator
Across The Sea

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 01:27:03 PM »

I've read the first book several times, but I haven't been able to get into the rest of the series.  Maybe it's just me, but some of those books are just plain awful.  But that's fine, it's a great story by itself and maybe what happens next is better left up to the imagination.  I really enjoyed how much the book centers on the inner-workings of religion and government, two very crucial concepts that are kind of just there in other mainstream sci-fi, IMO.

To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
-Albert Einstein

Listen, kid, there're two things you don't know about the Earth: one is me. And the other...is Godzilla.- Don Frye, Godzilla: Final Wars
solid spike
Can't Drive 55
My Name Is Jonas

dereknewhouse@hotmail.com liquidsnake41519
Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 10:56:40 AM »

As a matter of fact I too have read Dune and loved it.  It is one of the few books that I have thoroughly enjoy reading.  I have the second book to the series that I plan on reading but I have not yet gotten to it.  In fact after rading this post I might go do that now.

I have seen some clips from the old movie that they made in the 80's and from what I saw it remained pretty faithful to the book, but keep in mind that I have not seen the entire movie.  I have also seen clips from the Dune minisereis which I think follows the second book but might have some spill over from the first book.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher regard those who think alike than those who think differently."  Friedrich Nietzsche
Architect of Awesome
Your Couch Fort Isn't Safe
Holiday

I bring nothing to the table.

lilwoodenpuppet
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 07:55:53 AM »

I have all of the Dune books, and they're pretty good, but I had some issues making it through the series.

As for the movie in the 80's, that was pure awesome.  The miniseries was great too: The first run followed the first book to a "T", and the second one, Children of Dune followed more of the second book with some random bits from the third thrown in there for, "Oooooh, that's why the did that," effect so they wouldn't have to make a third miniseries.

"I ain't seen pussy in so long I'd throw stones at it." - David Serdaris
Ethos
Taking a Trip in the Banbulance
Surf Wax America

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 09:18:54 PM »

lol I got burnt out on it, I'm forced to watch the whole mini series every time im at ethos'

I made you watch it ONCE, and you didn't even pay attention :p. The books are by far better, but HBO's Dune was really great, If only Patrick Steward was Gurney again. Dune TRIVIA TEST  ME lol ive read all of them, btw there's one not written by Frank that's worth reading the Buderlian Jihad Wars. I read it a couple years ago, I used to live inside barnes and nobles Smiley
Architect of Awesome
Your Couch Fort Isn't Safe
Holiday

I bring nothing to the table.

lilwoodenpuppet
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »

It's Patrick STEWART and the BUTLERIAN Jihad was writen by Frank Herbert's son (who did well on that book, but wouldn't have done as well on the others if he didn't have Kevin J. Anderson helping him out).

"I ain't seen pussy in so long I'd throw stones at it." - David Serdaris
Ethos
Taking a Trip in the Banbulance
Surf Wax America

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »

yes yes sorry for the spelling, I forgot it was his son. In any case it was well written.
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: